Friday, September 3, 2010

Late Repentance (November 6, 2009)

J.C. Ryle, in his book Thoughts for Young Men, pleads with his readers not to count on a "late repentance" - the notion that we will serve ourselves and our pleasures when young, and then turn to God when we are older. He says,
I grant you that true repentance is never too late, but I warn you at the same time, late repentance is seldom true. I grant you, one penitent thief was converted in his last hours, that no man might despair; but I warn you, only one was converted, that no man might presume (see Luke 23:39-43). (J.C. Ryle, 1996. Calvary Press: Amityville, NY. Thoughts for Young Men, p. 11.)
Ryle continues, illustrating the course that sin so often takes if we always count on a late repentance (We might add our own excuses here: "Perhaps tomorrow...just this time...maybe when I have different friends...maybe when I'm past this stage in life..."): "Habits are like stones rolling down hill, the further they roll, the faster and more uncontrollable is their course. Habits, like trees, are strengthened by age." (p. 12)

I would urge us all - including myself, as I know my tendency to use these excuses - to discard these deceptive promises that we will fulfill "later," and rather do so now by the grace of God! When we sense the conviction and the tug of the Holy Spirit, let us respond in that moment, and continue responding.

"Today, if you hear his voice, / do not harden your hearts as you did at Meribah..." (Psalm 95:7b-8a; see also Hebrews 3:7 ff.)

No comments:

Post a Comment