Friday, September 3, 2010

Skillful Ministry (June 17, 2009)

I have worked several jobs in which I come into very regular contact with people. Throughout such experiences, and through one's desire to continue to do a job with greater excellence, it is a relatively simple and sometimes systematic thing to grow in skill socially. We learn how to read others; we learn what to say and what not to say; we learn when humor may lighten a situation and when a serious word is called for.

These skills are good. However, when improvement in them takes primacy in our life or our job (something I find I too easily fall into), we are not living the life of faith and dependence on God to which we are called. Ministry can, it seems, too easily become something in which those who minister seek greater skill, but neglect seeking a greater outpouring of the Holy Spirit in their lives. I know I speak for myself in this. A salesman may appear friendly, amiable, and good-natured--all attributes which may well reflect his or her skill in relating to others, rather than a genuine attitude of care for others.

I can work at gaining ministry "skill," but having this skill does not itself mean that I have a heart for those whom I serve as a Christian. And if I do not truly love those I serve, then I believe that such service--though skilled--can easily become a mask that I put on. It does not then reflect my true desires, and such service can, it would seem, easily become burdensome and devoid of the joy of serving others in love.

Skill in important in ministry, but without a heart for service, I would hold that it is hollow. So how do we build a heart for those we serve? Let us pray that the Holy Spirit will show us the love of Christ, and allow us to love others. Then will ministry be something that engages our heart, and not simply our head. Genuine love--what is at the heart of true ministry--is not something that can be gained simply by systematic study or human effort; it begins with the love of God. So let us seek His love and the empowerment of His Spirit, that we may serve Him truly.

No comments:

Post a Comment