Friday, September 3, 2010

Quote for the day--More Empistemology (April 17, 2009)

When people come to Christ in search of an answer to a felt need, they will be on unstable footing unless they are quickly grounded in the truths of the gospel....After twenty-one years of evangelistic ministry with non-Christians, I have come to the conclusion that most people come to Christ in order to have a felt need met, but they stay with Christ because they have come to believe that the gospel is true. (Ajith Fernando, Acts NIV Commentary, p. 113)
Why do you believe the things you do? I was once talking to someone who, in effect, expressed the sentiment that he didn't believe in God because he didn't like the ideas/implications that the truth of God's existence would entail. Of course, when we think about this, it is apparent that our feelings and desires do not dictate what is true. I am not fond of the fact that I will injure myself if I try to bench too much weight at the gym, but if I am to avoid injury I must accept this truth. Similarly, whether or not we like the idea of God's existence, we must each address such a possibility apart from simply our desires concerning it. The fact of whether or not He exists is not dictated by whether or not I want him to exist.

So we must answer this question.

No comments:

Post a Comment